"Peacock Alley" (Signed by Oscar of the Waldorf)$195.00
An Astor family feud contributed to the events which led to the construction of the original Waldorf-Astoria on Fifth Avenue. It started as two hotels: one owned by William Waldorf Astor, whose 13-story Waldorf Hotel was opened in 1893 and the other owned by his cousin, John Jacob Astor IV, called the Astoria Hotel and opened four years later in 1897, four stories higher. The grand social promenade that connected the original Waldorf and Astoria hotels was called "Peacock Alley."
In 1931, James Remington McCarthy collaborated with John Rutherford on Peacock Alley: The Romance of the Waldorf-Astoria. From the Foreword: "This book does not pretend to be a history of New York hotels nor does it presume to chronicle the metropolis's social development. The attempt has been to present a human and romantic story of a famous tradition that happened to be a hotel--of which Harper's Bazaar in 1896 said: "It is the fashion of New York, the Mecca of visitors from many nations, for nowhere in the world, with the possible exception of Shepheard's in Cairo, has any hotel come to play so important a part in the social life of a great city."
From Chapter V: "Of all the men who sprang from the Bolt regime, it is unlikely that any has achieved such world-wide affection and esteem as the kind-faced, solemn, quiet fellow now known as Oscar of the Waldorf-Astoria."
Offering a 1931 First edition copy (black gilt cloth hardcover), personally signed by the esteemed Oscar of the Waldorf himself.
"Peacock Alley" (Signed by Oscar of the Waldorf)
Availability: Ships in 24 hours